Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lovely Things

I realised that I mainly post about situations, political and cultural that aggravate me, but the truth is, writing about things that I love are not as evocative but I will be posting positive messages.
Things I Love:
Pop Culture
James Bond. Rarely done well, my concept of him as the Bastard of the British Empire only really took with Connery, and to a lesser degree Dalton and Craig. My personal favourite is actually David Niven, an artful, knowing parody of the post-retirement secret agent but there still needs to be a Bond that combines the hedonism and masculinity with a secret world of terror and espionage.

Prince. In recent years, he seems to have lost the genuine insanity and passion that made his recorded work engrossing but live the man is untouchable: muscular and tight pop that blooms into whatever takes his fancy at a moment, plays with musicians who are disciplined and fierce showmen as well as incredible musicians. Never a dull record, even if they lack fervour.

Stand Up Comedy. There is not one that I rate over the others, I admire anyone who can perform like this and make it look effortless. Regardless of whether they are arseholes away from it, I look to those who see the audience as the point, who speak about truth and make it funny and it is true that the most controversial are those who do not advertise their controversy. Laughter is such a powerful and potent drug, as immersive as good music.
Material Things
Coffee. Good coffee, ground and served in a cafetiere, nothing better, no sugar, not even a splash of milk, the best stuff has a bouquet as complex as a good wine.

People. I enjoy my own company, but I know that I require contact in order to live well and happily, the exchange of energies that arise from interaction, debate, contact and passion is enervating and the point of living.


No comments: