Monday, August 16, 2010

Immigrants

I have no problem with immigration, at all. I met a young woman today who is flying out to Greece to do bar work, no one around us happened to be anything other than pleased for her. These were reasonable people and I resisted the temptation to start a conversation around the other scenario. Not that I feel that the general anxiety around immigration should be dismissed, but it is important to set aside the racism that permeates the media coverage. Jobs aren't going to anyone, let along immigrants.

Also, when the press talk about immigrants, they mean brown and black people. My friend Brett is a New Zealander and not only is he immensely entertaining, intelligent and considerate, he helps people in his role as a union rep(note that the qualities and the role he does are connected, I myself am a rep) Not once have I ever heard anyone question his place in this country, nor would they because Brett is built like a third act antagonist.

The coverage of immigration in the tabloids is increasingly less subtle, and I fail to see the difference between some of the stories and BNP statements. Further to this, the issue is yet another distraction from the real struggle - to divide and conquer so that the working class are directed to pour their resentment onto a particular target.

No comments: