Saturday, September 12, 2009

Racism and Religion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8251958.stm

We live in a complicated world, and I try to be careful with my opinions, because my feelings are, well, complicated.

Racism is not rational, although there are those who try to define it in terms of logic and reason, but it is irrational and stinks of fear and ignorance. Racism is not innate nor is it natural, children aren't born with it, it has to be learned and taught, or it thrives in the damp and dark places of society, it is not a matter of class because to be honest, on most council estates, they are neighbours, someone to borrow a cup of sugar or share a spliff with, it is the middle class enclaves where the daily mail is delivered that it lives and gains respectability. Patriotism is not racism, but it is easy to confuse it in these times. And in the above report, the right action is being taken, which is that of opening a dialogue with people on why they feel this way.

Islam is one of many religions, and I do not begrudge anyone their beliefs as long as they are not forced upon me, nor should they be subject to abuse for their beliefs. However the extremist elements of religions continue to cause me discomfort, because no matter how many concessions they receive, it will never be enough. Sharia Law is abhorrent, I find censorship in any form discomforting and I resent moral judgements from anyone but my own conscience, I also resent any attempts to limit what we do with our bodies. I also on the other hand understand why someone would enter into such a belief, the incursion of western military into their countries, the support for the House of Saud and the continued support of Israel, the glorification of vulgar wealth and the cheapening of human interaction and sexuality into talking points and sales pitches, I do get that.

In one sense it is an artificial conflict, rendered so by history and political decisions rendered in the spirit of pragmatism and expediency, but in another, it is entirely real and volatile. It does disturb me, the casual racism as much as the overt hate, the text message length jokes and the snarling comments about immigrants all make me uncomfortable, but I just try to live my life and be able to look at myself in the mirror.

No comments: