Wednesday, December 29, 2010

i want to escape the prison i made

Note: This is a work of fiction and as such is to be interpreted as such, it is solely the work of the author, and not intended as a comment, analysis or opinion upon any organisation or individual nor is any offence inferred or intended. If you cannot read something without believing it to be fiction I have taken the liberty of forcing you to highlight the text in order to read it.

i want to escape the prison i made


To whom it may concern,

I wish to apply for the position advertised in this weeks issue of the Advertiser, because I am desperate. I currently work in retail, one of the big ones, although to be honest, the experience of working in small versus large stores is the difference between being sick and soiling oneself. Its one of the big ones, big enough to afford to pay C-list celebrities fees that I would have to work years to accrue a similar amount in salary. When I say desperate, you deserve an explanation:

I put things on shelves: hoovers, toasters, microwaves. All in different boxes, all essentially the same product and for the most part made in cramped factories by prisoners of conscience. Sometimes people ask me what is the best of a particular range? Time was, I used to discuss the differences, cosmetic as they were and was genuinely interested in trying to meet their expectations and desires within the confines of their budget. Nowadays, I usually fight back tears and ask them to send word to the authorities of the conditions we work under, or alternatively, I have developed an entire routine where I fake a seizure. Eyes rolled back, foaming at the mouth, I contort my hands into little claws of contempt.

The First Aiders stopped coming if the call originated from my department, and when they did arrive, it was too late for the temp who had lied about his asthma on his application form. He seemed nice, although I never caught his name, he borrowed someone else’s name badge so he died with the name Richard who worked on checkouts and liked football, which is ironic.

I look forward to hearing from you

No comments: