Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Anger Is An Energy

So, its been a while. Living under a Coalition government has been slightly depressing, in as much as there isn't any real horror to rally against(yet), more the sensation of bearing witness to the slow, gradual dissolution of people's lives and livelihoods, the idea that it is perfectly acceptable to be selfish in terms of how you form an opinion on the 'reforms' that are coming down the pipeline rather than consider how lucky we did have things generally. The reason I am not overtly horrified, is that, well to be honest, you knew they were doing to do this sort of thing, regardless of whether the Liberal Democrats were involved or not, because the Tories do not fuck around on this sort of thing. Even the 'u-turn' was heralded as a victory, a gesture of courage which speaks to the blanket media training every politican receives these days.

Labour are farting around, aside from Yvette Cooper and Ed Balls, Ed Miliband is proving to be a disappointment, failing to support the unions last Thursday which makes me feel I wasted my vote on him, hoping for someone liberal, dynamic and determined to form a genuine consensus that would take us away from New Labour was wishful thinking on my part.

Still, it is gratifying to note that Rupert Murdoch continues to enervate my sense of rage and decency with the latest revelation about phone hacking, which I feel needs to be put into perspective:

Your daughter is missing, presumed dead but you still have her mobile phone. You keep it charged, the police purchase credit for it and in that, it becomes a symbol, a thing of hope that maybe the nightmare gathering on the horizon might pass you by, that you can entertain hope when the world constantly demonstrates otherwise. Family and friends leave messages, entreaties, pleas - if her voicemail message was personally recorded, it would be a chance to hear her voice again.

Now imagine discovering that someone has hacked that phone, listening and erasing messages to ensure that there is always content and access to that content. That those messages erased were a conversation never ended nor started, hanging in cyberspace, shining points of light, prayers to the universe, possible clues or motives that might provide closure or justice and yet someone out there made the decision that the content was theirs to erase. That the direction of the case may have been altered, that false hope may have been entertained because a 'journalist' wanted the story so much, he was prepared to violate your daughter's memory to do it.

That's what happened to Milly Dowler, I would consider that akin to french kissing her corpse at the wake, and this fucker deserves to go to prison for doing it. Her parents suffered the worst thing imaginable, and then had to suffer Bellfield's defence team pawing through their lives in search of mitigation and then had to suffer this rat fuck revealing he had been phishing her phone as the case and the search continued.

Rebecca Brooks nee Wade was editor of the News of the World at the time, married to Ross Kemp and a close personal friend of David Cameron. If she knew, and didnt immediately stop it, she deserves whatever the law can throw at her. Resignation is too easy, I would like her to apologise to Milly's parents, only because no apology could ever do, I want to see her and everyone involved confronted with the causal, indifferent horror of their actions.

It might seem a small thing to be irate about, to some. But I respect certain institutions, families, a free press and when I see them corrupted or sullied, it makes me horribly angry and frustrated. Which is key to understanding me, I am an idealist, a romantic and when I become discontented, I try to encourage others to feel the same. Mostly I fail at it, but it makes me feel better to know that I still care - like the PiL song says, 'anger is an energy'.

No comments: