Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Big Society

I feel an increasing sense of unease with the encroaching cuts, all in the service of 'The Big Society' and 'Cutting The Deficit'. It is going to mean that the simple covenant that we all had a reasonable expectation of seeing a doctor, posting a letter, calling on the emergency services, educating your child and providing them with the opportunities to make something of themselves - all now going to be available to those who can afford it.

I really wish I was joking, that I could believe that these are going to be the socio-political equivalent of ripping off a plaster -painful and instantaneous but ultimately relief and healing set in afterwards but I cannot. This is, as Naomi Klein wrote about, disaster capitalism - setting up in the ruins to build a world that will better suit their ideology.

The government are acting under the auspice of sharing the pain around, but the fundamental changes that would actually redress the deficit - a Tobin Tax, a higher banking levy, the scrapping of Trident, addressing tax evasion and avoidance -shit even legalising or decriminalising some of the softer drugs would bring in huge amounts of revenue. But no, these cuts are about reducing the state to a point where the private sector will turn everything into a race to profit fastest and first.

Oh yes, the expertise of the private sector - ok, I want you to watch the Apprentice. That is the expertise of the private sector right here, arrogant soulless cunts who exist on the personality scale from fragile defence of obvious personality flaws through to sociopath who dresses in the skins of children - people who actually have conversations that could be randomly generated from a computer programme. Imagine being diagnosed with schizophrenia and having to go some of the people you see in suits on shopfloors and in offices to request their assistance, or wondering if you can raise the money for chemotherapy, go on that is what some of you voted for - oh well you could work harder -but jobs don't exist, so fuck you.

Fuck you. That is the true message of the Big Society right there, they will never address the gross excesses of private industry or government, the true hypocrisy that we all sense on a subconscious level but is wholly acknowledged. Me, I am preparing for the worst and will try to negotiate this sick new world we all live in - I stopped blogging because I wanted to not be so angry, but I cannot help how I feel and I know I want to talk about it. I only hope that someone listens

1 comment:

Trouble said...

I agree whole heartedly, i fear whats going to happen to society when these cuts actually kick in, the area I live in is very dependant on benefits, and the scariest thing that will happen when they take all this money out of the system is that people will stop spending, and when that happens shops will close, peoples jobs will be lost, theft will escalate and people wont go to jail because the police wont have the resources to catch them.

I could go on ive been wearing peoples ears out all week.