Saturday, May 16, 2009

FX Decisions

Am looking into pedals, at the moment. I've experimented with a Behringer multi-fx, which when it worked was immensely fun and educational, but now I have developed my left and right hand techniques to the point where I get by..

BUT ITS NOT AS MUCH FUN AS THE RAW JOY OF NOISE!!

So, I really do need to develop my sound, through FX: here is what I would like.

Compression. For Surge, I would benefit from a smoother sound, although primarily a studio effect, Jamerson used it and more recently, I have read that The Roots use tonnes of it, which is a no-brainer for me, I love that bass sound with a passion.

Fuzz - As opposed to distortion, which just sounds like a downtuned guitar, I like how the low end doesnt get entirely sacrificed for the effect, and its a staple of the funk bassists who made their solos and fills all the livelier for it - Bootsy and Larry Graham, and later Christian MacBride.

Envelope Filter - That whompah wah whomp sound? Makes me make that O face I get when I really feel a groove, would be of minimal use other than Surge, but good damn I want it to hand.

Thats all at the moment, the others I don't see a pragmatic need for, but I can use my imagination in the moment.

No comments: