Friday, September 23, 2005

Endings

One of the things that Alan Moore did during his time reinventing superhero comics was to point out the blinding obvious to an audience and an editorial/creative community. Mythology resonates because there is an end: Robin Hood fires the arrow to determine where he will be buried, ultimately the hero departs.

Now commercial considerations determine that for most characters in superhero fiction, that does not happen. With my own creation, Mr Forbidden and his family/friends associates, there is an ending in mind. I am writing it, even though I am ignorant of the chances of him ever being published, but because I want to know going in, that I am not creating someone who will disappear into stasis. The ending is there, even if no-one but me will ever see it.

No comments: